Written by Kevin L. Howard
SERMON OUTLINE, Spreading the Fame of Christ
- Dog lovers story
- Intro self
Paul is in Miletus and had passed by Ephesus but had the Eph elders brought to him. He is in the midst of his third missionary journey (AD 53-57) and on his way back to Jerusalem. Paul takes another missionary trip but will not see the Eph elders again and doesn't die until around AD 68.
1. Value your life through God's eyes (Paul considered his life expendable)
- "1 Cor 6:20 bought with a price"
- Mark 10:29-30, "So Jesus answered and said, 'Assuredly, I say to you, there is no one who has left house or brothers or sisters or father or mother or wife or children or lands, for My sake and the gospel's, 30 who shall not receive a hundredfold now in this time--houses and brothers and sisters and mothers and children and lands, with persecutions--and in the age to come, eternal life.'" (NKJ)
- Friend's funny word fumble story: opening the door
[Transition: See the value of your life through godly lenses so you can...]
2. Stay focused on your ultimate purpose (Paul wanted to live his days spreading the good news)
- Finishing well [by]
- Testifying: gospel
- We can all do ministry (Ministry is serving)
- Why do missions? "Missions is not the ultimate goal of the church. Worship is." (Piper, Nations, 11)
- Rev 5:8-10
- American Dream: hinder
- My failures
- Friend in Asia
- Ordinary people living obediently (practical: how they can do it)
Central Idea: Spreading the fame of Christ so all people may worship him should be one of our main pursuits.
Objective: They will take a short term trip overseas to share the gospel in the next year.
Spreading the Fame of Christ, [Excerpt] MP3
Spreading the Fame of Christ, [Excerpt] Windows Media Player